Conceived in July of 2011 as Transmedia Toronto, Transmedia 101 had grown from a simple meetup-group to a an expanding organization that:
- connected like-minded innovators together to discuss, experiment and push transmedia forward
- educated, and elevated the understanding of the possibilities of transmedia strategies can support
- raised industry awareness and shared/spotlighted the profiles of transmedia professionals, both Canadian and International, who are actively engaged in the field
- connected our growing local/Canadian community to an international network of transmedia practitioners through guest speakers and workshops. International speakers ranged from transmedia strategists and educators, shared storyworld and experience designers, and seasoned web series producers.
Transmedia 101 was inclusive of practitioners in digital media, cross-platform, multimedia, Alternate Reality Games, transmedia, immersive or theatrical experience, and social storytelling and welcomed both students and the transmedia-curious from the creative industries: book publishing, film, mobile, web series, TV, gaming, advertising, theatre, art, interactive/digital, etc. Its co-organizers were Carrie Cutforth, Siobhan O’Flynn and Anthea Foyer.
Its community building activities included:
- Incubation and other creation based events
- Formal and casual networking events
- Presentations from transmedia professionals and cross-media/digital storytellers, creators, and strategists
Past speakers included Jon Reiss, Robert Pratten, Geoff May, Ashley Cooper, The Mission Business, Scott Walker, Siobhan O’Flynn and more.